Last Updated: November 13, 2022
Stufinder exists to help build connections between Studeurs (recording studio owners and operators) and Creatives (artists, producers, songwriters, vocalists, engineers, podcasters) and more. We are a community built on integrity, passion, perseverance, and acceptance. A fundamental part of earning that trust means being clear about how we use your information and protect your human right to privacy.
Table of Contents
- Information We Collect
- How We Use Information We Collect
- Sharing & Disclosure
- Other Important Information
- Your Rights
- Operating Globally
- Contact Us
1. Information We Collect
There are two general categories of information we collect.
1.1 Information you give to us that is necessary for the use of the Stufinder Platform
We ask for and collect the following personal information about you when you use the Stufinder Platform. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us and to allow us to comply with our legal obligations. Without it, we may not be able to provide you with all the requested services.
- Account Information. When you sign up for a Stufinder Account, we require certain information such as your first name, last name, email address, and date of birth.
- Profile and Studio Information. To use certain features of the Stufinder Platform (such as booking or creating a Studio listing), we may ask you to provide additional information, which may include your address, studio address, phone number, and profile picture.
- Communications with Stufinder and other Members. When you communicate with Stufinder or use the Stufinder Platform to communicate with other Members, we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
- Identity Verification and Payment Information. Such as images of your government-issued ID (as permitted by applicable laws), your ID number or other verification information, bank account or payment account information.
1.2 Information you choose to give us
You may choose to provide us with additional personal information in order to obtain a better user experience when using the Stufinder Platform. This additional information will be processed based on your consent.
- Additional Profile Information. You may choose to provide additional information as part of your Stufinder profile (such as user profile details). Some of this information as indicated in your Account settings is part of your public profile page, and will be publicly visible to others.
- Address Book Contact Information. Address book contacts you import or enter manually.
- Other Information. You may otherwise choose to provide us information when you fill in a form, conduct a search, update or add information to your Stufinder Account, respond to surveys, post to community forums, participate in promotions, or use other features of the Stufinder Platform.
1.3 Information Automatically Collected by Using the Stufinder Platform and our Payment Services
When you use the Stufinder Platform and Payment Services, we automatically collect personal information. This information may include:
- Usage Information. Such as the pages or content you view, searches for Studios, bookings you have made, and other actions on the Stufinder Platform.
- Log Data and Device Information. Such as details about how you’ve used the Stufinder Platform (including if you clicked on links to third party applications), IP address, access dates and times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information, unique identifiers, crash data, cookie data, and the pages you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the Stufinder Platform. We may collect this information even if you haven’t created a Stufinder account or logged in.
- Payment Transaction Information. Such as payment instrument used, date and time, payment amount, payment instrument expiration date and billing postcode, PayPal email address, IBAN information, your address and other related transaction details.
1.4 Personal Information We Collect from Third Parties
We collect personal information from other sources, such as:
- Third-Party Services. If you link, connect, or login to the Stufinder Platform with a third party service (e.g. Google, Facebook), you direct the service to send us information such as your registration, friends list, and profile information as controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service.
- Background Information. For Members in the United States, to the extent permitted by applicable laws, we may obtain reports from public records of criminal convictions or sex offender registrations. For Members outside of the United States, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and with your consent where required, we may obtain the local version of police, background, or registered sex offender checks. We may use your information, including your full name and date of birth, to obtain such reports.
- Other Sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may receive additional information about you, such as references, demographic data or information to help detect fraud and safety issues from third party service providers and/or partners, and combine it with information we have about you. For example, we may receive background check results or fraud warnings from identity verification service providers for use in our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts. We may receive information about you and your activities on and off the Stufinder Platform, or about your experiences and interactions from our partners. We may receive health information, including but not limited to health information related to contagious diseases.
2. How We Use Information We Collect
We use, store, and process information, including personal information, about you to provide, understand, improve, and develop the Stufinder Platform, create and maintain a trusted and safer environment and comply with our legal obligations.
2.1 Provide, Improve, and Develop the Stufinder Platform
- Enable you to access and use the Stufinder Platform.
- Enable you to communicate with other Members.
- Operate, protect, improve, and optimize the Stufinder Platform and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research.
- Provide customer service.
- Send you service or support messages, updates, security alerts, and account notifications.
- To operate, protect, improve, and optimize the Stufinder Platform and experience, and personalize and customize your experience (such as making Studio suggestions or ranking search results), we conduct profiling based on your interactions with the Stufinder Platform, your search and booking history, your profile information and preferences, and other content you submit to the Stufinder Platform. We process this information given our legitimate interest in improving the Stufinder Platform and our Members’ experience with it, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you.
2.2 Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment
- Detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
- Conduct security investigations and risk assessments.
- Conduct checks against databases and other information sources.
- Comply with our legal obligations.
- Resolve any disputes with any of our Members and enforce our agreements with third parties.
- Enforce our Terms of Service and other policies.
- In connection with the activities above, we may conduct profiling based on your interactions with the Stufinder Platform, your profile information and other content you submit to the Stufinder Platform, and information obtained from third parties. In limited cases, automated processes may restrict or suspend access to the Stufinder Platform if such processes detect a Member or activity that we think poses a safety or other risk to the Stufinder Platform, other Members, or third parties. We process this information given our legitimate interest in protecting the Stufinder Platform, to measure the adequate performance of our contract with you, and to comply with applicable laws.
2.3 Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing
- Send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences (including information about Stufinder or partner campaigns and services) and social media advertising through social media platforms such as Facebook or Google).
- Personalize, measure, and improve our advertising.
- Invite you to events and relevant opportunities.
2.4 Provide Payment services
Personal information is used to enable or authorize third parties to use Payment Services:
- Detect and prevent money laundering, fraud, abuse, and security incidents.
- Conduct security investigations and risk assessments.
- Comply with legal obligations (such as anti-money laundering regulations).
- Enforce the payment terms and other payment policies.
- With your consent, send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences.
- Provide and improve the payment services.
3. Sharing & Disclosure
3.1 With Your Consent
Where you have provided consent, we share your information, including personal information, as described at the time of consent, such as when you authorize a third party application or website to access your Stufinder Account or when you participate in promotional activities conducted by Stufinder partners or third parties.
3.2 Sharing between Members
To help facilitate bookings or other interactions between Members, we may need to share certain information, including personal information, with other Members, as it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us, as follows:
- When you as a Guest submit a booking request, certain information about you is shared with the Studeur, including your full name and other information you agree to share. When your booking is confirmed, we will disclose additional information to assist with coordinating the booking, like your phone number.
- When you as a Studeur have a confirmed booking, certain information is shared with the Guest to coordinate the booking, such as your full name, phone number, and studio address.
3.3 Profiles, Studios, and other Public Information
The Stufinder Platform lets you publish information, including personal information, that is visible to the general public. For example:
- Parts of your public profile page, such as your first name, profile picture, description, city, and more are publicly visible to others.
- Studio pages are publicly visible and include information such as the Studio’s approximate location (neighborhood and city) or precise location (where you have provided your consent), Studio description, your public profile photo, aggregated demand information (like page views over a period of time), and any additional information you choose to share.
- If you submit content in a community or discussion forum, blog or social media post, or use a similar feature on the Stufinder Platform, that content is publicly visible. Based on our legitimate interest to promote the Stufinder Platform we may display parts of the Stufinder Platform (e.g., your Studio page) on sites operated by Stufinder’s business partners, using technologies such as widgets or APIs. If your Studios are displayed on a partner’s site, information from your public profile page may also be displayed. Information you share publicly on the Stufinder Platform may be indexed through third-party search engines. In some cases, you may opt-out of this feature in your Account settings. If you change your settings or your public-facing content, these search engines may not update their databases. We do not control the practices of third-party search engines, and they may use caches containing your outdated information.
3.4 Studeur Service Providers
Studeurs may use third-party services to help manage or deliver their services, such as cleaning services or lock providers. Studeurs may use features on the Stufinder Platform to share information about the Guest (like check-in and check-out dates, Guest name, and Guest phone number) with such third-party service providers.
3.5 Compliance with Law, Responding to Legal Requests, Preventing Harm and Protection of our Rights
Stufinder may disclose your information, including personal information, to courts, law enforcement or governmental authorities, tax authorities, or authorized third parties, if and to the extent we are required or permitted to do so by law or if such disclosure is reasonably necessary: (i) comply with our legal obligations, (ii) to comply with legal process and to respond to claims asserted against Stufinder, (iii) to respond to verified requests relating to a criminal investigation or alleged or suspected illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal liability, (iv) to enforce and administer our Terms of Service or other agreements with Members, or (v) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Stufinder, its employees, its Members, or members of the public. Studeur tax information may be shared with tax authorities or other governmental agencies.
Where appropriate, we may notify Members about legal requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon Stufinder’s property, its Members and the Stufinder Platform. In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we will attempt to notify that Member about the request after the fact where appropriate and where we determine in good faith that we are no longer prevented from doing so.
For jurisdictions where Stufinder facilitates the collection and remittance of Taxes where legally permissible according to applicable law, we may disclose Studeurs’ and Guests’ information about transactions, bookings, Studios and occupancy Taxes to the applicable tax authority, such as Studeur and Guest names, Studio addresses, transaction dates and amounts, tax identification number(s), the amount of taxes received (or due) by Studeurs from Guests, and contact information.
In jurisdictions that facilitates or require a registration, notification, permit, or license application of a Studeur with a local governmental authority through Stufinder in accordance with local law, we may share information of participating Studeurs with the relevant authority, both during the application process and, periodically thereafter, such as the Studeur’s full name and contact details, Studio address, tax identification number, Studio details, and number of hours booked.
3.6 Programs with Managers and Owners
We may share personal information of Studeurs and Guests such as booking information, and information related to compliance with applicable laws such as short-term rental laws with landlords, management companies, and/or property owners (the “Building Management”), in order to facilitate programs with Building Management. For example, guest booking and personal information, including guest contact information, may be shared with the Building Management of the building, complex, or community where a host lives and/or the Studio is located, to facilitate hosting services, compliance with applicable laws, security, billing, and other services.
3.7 Service Providers
Stufinder uses a variety of third party service providers to help us provide services related to the Stufinder Platform. Service providers may be located inside or outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”).
3.8 Social Media Platforms
Where permissible according to applicable law we may use certain limited personal information about you, such as your email address, to hash it and to share it with social media platforms, such as Facebook or Google, to generate leads, drive traffic to our websites or otherwise promote our products and services or the Stufinder Platform. These processing activities are based on our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be of your interest. The social media platforms with which we may share your personal data are not controlled or supervised by Stufinder. Therefore, any questions regarding how your social media platform service provider processes your personal data should be directed to such a provider. Please note that you may, at any time, ask Stufinder to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes by sending an email to email@example.com.
3.9 Business Transfers
3.10 Aggregated Data
We may also share aggregated information (information about our users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user) and other anonymized information for regulatory compliance, industry and market analysis, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
4. Other Important Information
4.1 Analyzing your Communications
We may review, scan, or analyze your communications on the Stufinder for reasons, including fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, analytics, enforcing our Terms of Service, and customer support purposes. In some cases, we may also scan, review, or analyze messages to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. We use automated methods where reasonably possible. Occasionally we may need to manually review communications, such as for fraud investigations and customer support, or to assess and improve the functionality of these automated tools. We will not review, scan, or analyze your messaging communications to send third-party marketing messages to you and we will not sell reviews or analyses of these communications.
4.2 Third Party Partners & Integrations
The Stufinder Platform may contain links to third party websites or services, such as third party integrations, co-branded services, or third party-branded services (“Third Party Partners”). Stufinder doesn’t own or control these Third Party Partners and when you interact with them, you may be providing information directly to the Third Party Partner, Stufinder, or both. These Third Party Partners will have their own rules about the collection, use, and disclosure of information. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of the other websites you visit.
5. Your Rights
You may exercise any of the rights described in this section by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity before taking further action on your request.
5.1 Managing Your Information
You may access and update some of your information through your Account settings. You are responsible for keeping your personal information up-to-date.
5.2 Rectification of Inaccurate or Incomplete Information
You have the right to ask us to correct inaccurate or incomplete personal information concerning you (and which you cannot update yourself within your Stufinder Account).
5.3 Data Access and Portability
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to request copies of your personal information held by us. You may also be entitled to request copies of personal information that you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and/or request us to transmit this information to another service provider (where technically feasible).
5.4 Data Retention and Erasure
We generally retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us and to comply with our legal obligations. If you no longer want us to use your information to provide the Stufinder Platform to you, you can request that we erase your personal information and close your Stufinder Account. Please note that if you request the erasure of your personal information:
- We may retain some of your personal information as necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud detection and prevention and enhancing safety. For example, if we suspend an Stufinder Account for fraud or safety reasons, we may retain certain information from that Stufinder Account to prevent that Member from opening a new Stufinder Account in the future.
- We may retain and use your personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations. For example, Stufinder may keep some of your information for business reporting and auditing obligations.
- Because we maintain the Stufinder Platform to protect from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your personal information may not be removed from our backup systems for a limited period of time.
5.5 Withdrawing Consent and Restriction of Processing
Where you have provided your consent to the processing of your personal information by Stufinder you may withdraw your consent at any time by changing your Account settings or by sending a communication to Stufinder specifying which consent you are withdrawing. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing activities based on such consent before its withdrawal. Additionally, in some jurisdictions, applicable law may give you the right to limit the ways in which we use your personal information, in particular where (i) you contest the accuracy of your personal information; (ii) the processing is unlawful and you oppose the erasure of your personal information; (iii) we no longer need your personal information for the purposes of the processing, but you require the information for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims; or (iv) you have objected to the processing pursuant to Section 6.6 and pending the verification whether the legitimate grounds of Stufinder override your own.
5.6 Objection to Processing
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to require Stufinder to not process your personal information for certain specific purposes (including profiling) where such processing is based on legitimate interest. If you object to such processing, Stufinder will no longer process your personal information for these purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for such processing or such processing is required for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims. Where your personal information is processed for direct marketing purposes, you may, at any time, ask Stufinder to cease processing your data for these direct marketing purposes by sending an email to email@example.com.
5.7 Lodging Complaints
You have the right to lodge complaints about the data processing activities carried out by Stufinder before the competent data protection authorities. If you are an EEA resident, you have the right to file a complaint with its lead supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office.
6. Operating Globally
6.1 Other Means to Ensure an Adequate Level of Data Protection
If you are a resident in the EEA and data is shared with corporate affiliates or third party service providers outside the EEA, we have – prior to sharing your information with such corporate affiliate or third party service provider – established the necessary means to ensure an adequate level of data protection. This may be an adequacy decision of the European Commission confirming an adequate level of data protection in the respective non-EEA country or an agreement on the basis of the EU Model Clauses (a set of clauses issued by the European Commission). We will provide further information on the means to ensure an adequate level of data protection on request.
6.2 California Privacy Rights
California law permits Members who are California residents to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we have disclosed their personal information (if any) for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year, as well as the type of personal information disclosed to those third parties. See the “Contact Us” for where to send such requests. Stufinder does not share personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes without your prior consent. Accordingly, you can prevent disclosure of your personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes by withholding consent.
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration. Some of the safeguards we use to protect your information are firewalls and data encryption, and information access controls. If you know or have reason to believe that your Stufinder Account credentials have been lost, stolen, misappropriated, or otherwise compromised or in case of any actual or suspected unauthorized use of your Stufinder Account, please contact us following the instructions in the Contact Us section below.
8.1 Why Stufinder Uses These Technologies
We use these technologies for a number of purposes, such as:
- to enable, facilitate and streamline the functioning of and your access to the Stufinder Platform
- to better understand how you navigate through and interact with the Stufinder Platform and to improve the Stufinder Platform
- to serve you tailored advertising (such as on the Stufinder Platform, emails and on third-party websites)
- to show you content (e.g., advertisements) that is more relevant to you
- to monitor and analyze the performance, operation, and effectiveness of the StufinderPlatform and Stufinder advertisements
- to enforce legal agreements that govern use of the Stufinder Platform
- for fraud detection and prevention, trust and safety, and investigations
- for purposes of our own customer support, analytics, research, product development, and regulatory compliance.
When you visit the Stufinder Platform we may place cookies on your device. Cookies are small text files that websites send to your computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify your browser or to store information or settings in your browser. Cookies allow us to recognize you when you return. They also help us provide a customized experience and can enable us to detect certain kinds of fraud. In many cases, the information we collect using cookies and other tools is only used in a non-identifiable manner without reference to personal information. For example, we may use the information we collect to better understand website traffic patterns and to optimize our website experience. In some cases we associate the information we collect using cookies and other technology with your personal information. Our business partners may also use these tracking technologies on the Stufinder Platform or engage others to track your behavior on our behalf.
There are two types of cookies used on the Stufinder Platform: (1) “session cookies” and (2) “persistent cookies.” Session cookies normally expire when you close your browser, while persistent cookies remain on your device after you close your browser, and can be used again the next time you access the Stufinder Platform.
In many cases, you can manage cookie preferences and opt-out of having cookies and other data collection technologies used by adjusting the settings on your browser. All browsers are different so visit the “help” section of your browser to learn about cookie preferences and other privacy settings that may be available. Please note that removing or rejecting cookies or clearing local storage could affect the features, availability, and functionality of the Stufinder Platform.
8.3 Flash Cookies
We may use Flash Cookies, also known as Local Stored Objects, and similar technologies to personalize and enhance your online experience. A Flash cookie is a small data file placed on a computer using Adobe Flash technology. The Adobe Flash Player is an application that allows rapid development of dynamic content, such as video clips and animation.
We use Flash cookies to personalize and enhance your online experience and to deliver content for Flash players. We may also use Flash cookies for security purposes, to gather certain website metrics and to help remember settings and preferences. Flash cookies are managed through a different interface than the one provided by your web browser. To manage Flash cookies, please visit Adobe’s website.
If you disable Flash cookies or other similar technologies, please note that you may not have access to certain content and product features such as your device remembering a Studio that you viewed during a previous visit.
8.4 Pixel Tags, Web Beacons, and Trackers
Pixel tags, web beacons, and tracking urls are tiny graphic images and/or small blocks of code placed on website pages, ads, or in our emails that allow us to determine whether you performed a specific action. When you access these pages, or when you open an email, let us know you have accessed the web page or opened the email. These tools help us measure responses to our communications and improve our web pages and promotions.
8.5 Server Logs and Other Technologies
We collect many different types of information from server logs and other technologies. For example, we collect information about the device you use to access the Stufinder Platform, your operating system type, browser type, domain, and other system settings, as well as the language your system uses and the country and time zone where your device is located. Our server logs also record the IP address of the device you use to connect to the Internet. An IP address is a unique identifier that devices require to identify and communicate with each other on the Internet. We may also collect information about the website you were visiting before you came to the Stufinder Platform and the website you visit after you leave the Stufinder Platform. These tools help us improve user experience and deliver our services.
8.6 Device Information
We may use device-related information to authenticate users. For example, we may use your IP address, browser information, or other data provided by your browser or device to identify the device being used to access our platform. We may also use these device-related techniques for associating you with different devices that you may use to access our content including for fraud-protection purposes and to better target advertising.
8.7 Third Parties
Third parties, including Facebook, place technologies such as pixels and SDKs on the Stufinder Platform. These technologies (1) help us analyze how you use the Stufinder Platform, such as by noting the third party services from which you arrived, (2) market and advertise Stufinder services to you on the Stufinder Platform and third party websites, (3) help us detect or prevent fraud or conduct risk assessments, and (4) collect information about your activities on the Stufinder Platform, other sites, and/or the ads you have clicked on. For example, to help us better understand how people use the Stufinder Platform, we work with a number of analytics partners, including Google Analytics. To prevent Google Analytics from using your information for analytics, you may install the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser by clicking here.
Third parties, including Facebook, may also use such tracking technologies to collect or receive information from the Stufinder Platform and elsewhere and use that information to serve ads that they believe are most likely to be of interest to you and measure the effectiveness of their ads both on the the Stufinder Platform and on other websites and online services. Targeting and advertising cookies we use may include Google, and other advertising networks and services we use from time to time. See here for information on how Google manages data in its ad products. For more information about targeting and advertising cookies and how you can opt out, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s opt-out page, the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out page, or http://youronlinechoices.eu. To opt-out of Google Analytics for display advertising or customize Google display network ads, you can visit the Google Ads Settings page. To the extent advertising technology is integrated into the Stufinder Platform and you opt-out of tailored advertising, you may still receive advertising content. In that case, the advertising content will just not be tailored to your interests. Also, we do not control any of these opt-out links and are not responsible for the availability or accuracy of these mechanisms.
8.8 Third Party Social Plugins
The Stufinder Platform may use social plugins provided and operated by third parties, such as Facebook’s Like Button. As a result of this, you may send to the third party the information that you are viewing on a certain part of the Stufinder Platform. If you are not logged into your account with the third party, then the third party may not know your identity. If you are logged in to your account with the third party, then the third party may be able to link information or actions about your interactions with the Stufinder Platform to your account with them. Please refer to the third party’s privacy policies to learn more about its data practices.
8.9 Your Choices
Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can modify your browser setting to decline cookies by visiting the Help portion of your browser’s toolbar. While you may disable cookies through your browser settings, the Stufinder Platform currently does not respond to a “Do Not Track” signal in the HTTP header from your browser or mobile application due to a lack of standardization regarding how that signal should be interpreted.
Flash cookies operate differently than browser cookies, and cookie management tools available in a web browser will not remove flash cookies. To learn more about how to manage flash cookies, you can visit the Adobe website and make changes at the Global Privacy Settings Panel.
Your mobile device may allow you to control cookies through its settings function. Refer to your device manufacturer’s instructions for more information.
- If you choose to decline cookies, some parts of the Stufinder Platform may not work as intended or may not work at all.to enable you to use and access the Stufinder Platform Platform and the payment services
10. Contact Us