TDE’s Studio Rules
TDE (Top Dawg Entertainment) which is home to prominent artists like ScHoolboy Q, Isaiah Rashad, SZA, Jay Rock, Ab-Soul, among others, and previously Kendrick Lamar, has a very well-curated roster of artists and if you’re in their studio session you have to follow their rules.
Though Kendrick Lamar is no longer, back in 2017, ScHoolboy Q posted on his Snapchat story a photo of the hilarious TDE rules which is taped to the door of the studio. Four years before ScHoolboy Q posted the rules TDE’s in-house engineer MixedByAli posted the rules on Instagram (the post is now deleted or archived).
Their studio rules start with;
IF YOU NOT THE HOMIE, DON’T COME IN HERE.
IF YOU ARE THE HOMIE BUT WITH SOMEBODY THAT’S NOT THE HOMIE, DON’T COME IN HERE.
DISREGARD THIS AND GET THE TIPS PUT ON YOU HOMIE.
then it reads…
TDE’s Studio Rules:
- If you ain’t one of the homies don’t be Instagramming you creepy muthafucka. I don’t wanna look on yo twitter and find a creepy ass pic of me or one of the homies, matter of fact, No Twitter or Instagram in the studio! Act like you been around a bunch of rich niggaz from the bottom before!
- If the homies just met you and decide to clown your bitch azz, sit there and deal with it. It’s part of the creative juices.
- Don’t touch, ask, or reach for Q’s weed, unless he thinks you cool enuff to pass it to you. We only smoke stersonals around here boy.
- Shut up and look ugly for the homies.
- Remember these rules and you might get a meal out the food budget!
Isaiah Rashad also posted this later to his Instagram story.
TDE affiliate Doebuger also posted the rules to his Snapchat story.
These are the interesting rules and guidelines for being in the TDE studio. Kendrick Lamar wrote these rules.
If you’re looking to book recording studios near you Download the Stufinder App
If you want to understand music production terms read our Recording Studio Dictionary